Moving Violation by Melanie Jackson

book cover

I read a really good book recently, y'all! Let me tell you a little about it.

Moving Violation, a cozy mystery by Melanie Jackson, is the first of 22 books in her Chloe Boston Mystery series. Chloe has wanted to be a police officer since childhood, partially because her father was the police chief — but mostly due to her crush on Adam-12 star Kent McCord. (I shared that crush, incidentally. I just wasn't inspired to go into law enforcement.)

More recently, Chloe has specifically wanted to be a detective, but her inability to lift 100 pounds means that she will have to settle for being a traffic and parking enforcement officer (aka meter maid). As you will see, when you READ THE BOOK, she is a better detective than the department's actual detectives!

A few of the main characters are Chloe, of course; the new police chief, Randy Wallace; Alex Lincoln, new in town, with Paul Newman eyes; and Chloe's co-worker in parking enforcement, Jef­frey Lit­tle. These people are all well-written, so that I feel I really know them, and like them. The secondary characters are believable, and likable for the most part (except for a few that are Chloe's nemeses).

The scenes when Chloe meets Chief Wallace, and when she encounters Alex, are some of my favorites — really hilarious! You will enjoy them, when you (say it with me) READ THE BOOK!

Author Melanie Jackson wrote some very humorous passages for her characters, especially Chloe, since she is the narrator of the book. Here are some of my favorites:

● I eventually found what I was looking for. It was a shriek alarm, which was the most dangerous weapon the force could legally assign to me. And I had to attend half a Saturday class to get it.

● [To overcome shyness, I have] ... begun to loosen up and meet peo­ple. I have so­cial in­ter­ac­tions, whether I like them or not.

For in­stance, one day about a year ago, I began hug­ging peo­ple at the local farm­ers’ mar­ket. I know, this sounds crazy, but it’s re­ally quite nice. While oth­ers sell farm-fresh pro­duce and apple cider all around me, I stand with my church brethren An­drew and Mar­cie and give away hugs for free. The process in­volves stand­ing, awk­wardly, while hold­ing a sign that says “Free Hugs” ….

● The hair­style was new. Clearly she had walked into Cuts, Col­ors & Curls, held up the head of the Medusa and said, “Gimme one of these or some­one gets hurt!” Noth­ing else could ex­plain why Clara Bren­nan had done some­thing so mean to a client.

● Mar­cie was right. He had a nice smile and a set of blue eyes that didn’t be­long run­ning loose in a small town where the fe­male quarry was largely un­so­phis­ti­cated and apt to be struck with moral blind­ness when con­fronted with any­thing that daz­zling. It would be a pub­lic ser­vice for me to take him in.

Well, I hope I've convinced you. Moving Violation by Melanie Jackson is a great read! There are several mysteries to be solved, which Chloe does quite well. (The chief's reaction to her solving the crimes is great!) I look forward to getting to know the main characters better, in the books to come. This is the first Chloe Boston book that I've read, and I'm eager to read the other 21 in the series!

I really enjoyed reading Moving Violation by Melanie Jackson, and award it Four Kitties out of five! I recommend it to all Cozy Mystery fans.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy of Moving Violation in exchange for my honest review. All opinions shared are 100% my own.

Originally published on my blog Jane Reads.