Gypsy Hunted

Gypsy Hunted - Andrea Drew I read a good book recently, y'all. Let me tell you a little about it. Gypsy Hunted is a psychic mystery suspense/thriller, book one in the Gypsy Shields series. The action in the book is told from multiple points of view, including that of Gypsy's hunter. The reader knows his/her identity, so the case is only a whodunit for the police. (There is also a secondary mystery, a true whodunit, involving the confidential police reports taken by the first victim.) Gypsy's POV is told in first person; the others' in third person.

Here are just of few of the reasons I enjoyed reading Gypsy Hunted. I like Gypsy herself, because she is such a strong character, with a very strong willpower. By sheer determination and much practice, she recovers her speech ability and fine motor skills much sooner than the doctors had expected, within days of the accident, instead of it taking weeks as usual. Other favorite characters are Connor, blind date / detective in charge of the case, and Gypsy's niece Renee, a precocious 13-year-old who shares a psychic connection with her aunt. This connection proves to be crucial to the case.

I like how the relationship between Gypsy and her younger sister Leah changes during the novel. In the opening scene, as she is walking to the restaurant to meet her blind date, Gypsy reflects on the irony that one of her most favorite people in the world, her niece Renee, is the daughter of one of her least favorite people, Leah. As young children, the sisters were close - until Gypsy's puberty began. This closeness was torn asunder by Gypsy's hormonal bombardment, parental favoritism, hurt feelings, and misunderstandings by both sisters. An unexpected and quite positive result of Gypsy's accident is their reconciliation, following their first real heart-to-heart talk in many years.

I enjoyed reading Gypsy Hunted by Andrea Drew. I look forward to reading more about Gypsy - and, hopefully, Connor, Leah, and Renee - in Gypsy Cradle and Gypsy Curse.

Note: I received a complimentary copy of Gypsy Hunted from the author
and Goddess Fish Promotions Book Tours in exchange for an honest opinion of the book.

My review was originally published on my blog at Jane Reads.