A Peach of a Pair

A Peach of a Pair - Kim Boykin I just read a really good book, y'all — A Peach of a Pair by Kim Boykin. Let me tell you a little about it.

A Peach of a Pair is a little different from my usual read. Instead of a romantic suspense or mystery, cozy or otherwise, A Peach of a Pair by Kim Boykin is Southern women's fiction. I wanted to read this book for review because most of A Peach of a Pair takes place in or near my home town of Columbia, South Carolina.

A Peach of a Pair tells the story of Nettie Gilbert's journey, both literal and figurative, taken to recover from her fiancé's and sister's betrayals. Nettie is a music education and piano major at Columbia College, just weeks away from graduation. Nettie receives news of her sister Sissy's pending (and necessary) nuptials to Nettie's fiancé Brooks.

Overwhelmed by this announcement, Nettie feels she cannot face her old life for a while. She is granted a leave of absence at college, and applies for work as a caregiver in nearby Camden, SC. She learned of the job from a help-wanted ad posted at her college by Katie Wilkes, on behalf of her brother Dr Remmy Wilkes, for his elderly patients, the Eldridge sisters. Live-in help is needed for the sisters because Miss Lurleen is in failing health due to a heart condition. (Her sister, Miss Emily, is totally against hiring outside help. She is perfectly capable of taking care of her sister all by herself, thank you very much.)

The story is told from four characters' points of view. Nettie tells her part in first person. The parts of Emily, Lurleen, and Remmy are told in third person. The POV changes are clearly noted with the character's name as a sub-title.

These POV changes allow the reader to get only bits and pieces of the characters' back-stories. We don't get the whole picture right away, and thus there are mysteries of a sort, such as:
• What caused the seven years of silence between the Eldridge sisters, even though they still lived together in the same house?
• What happened to their brother Teddy?
• What transpired between Lurleen, her beloved John, and Emily?
• Why is Katie Wilkes confined to a wheelchair? How was Remmy involved?

A Peach of a Pair by Kim Boykin is a realistic, genuine look at the world of genteel Southern women of the early 1950s. There is joy, sadness, laughter, and tears, just like in real life. Most of all, I found A Peach of a Pair by Kim Boykin to be a feel-good novel, one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading, and one that I think you will enjoy also.

To A Peach of a Pair I give Four Stars out of five — I really enjoyed it!

Note: I received a complimentary copy of A Peach of a Pair in exchange for my honest review. All opinions shared are 100% my own.

Originally published on my blog Jane Reads.