A Body in the Belfry

A Body in the Belfry - J.B. Hawker I just read a really good book, y'all — A Body in the Belfry by J.B. Hawker. Let me tell you a little about it. A Body in the Belfry is the second book in The First Ladies Club Mystery series, following book one, The First Ladies Club, also really good.

In the prologue of A Body in the Belfry, the reader learns how the body in the belfry came to be — how the victim succumbed to the unknown assailant and ended up at the end of a rope — how, but not why. The prologue hooked me, and I remained engrossed in the story lines until the end. I was so caught up that I didn't want to put it down, and finished it in two days.

The main character, and my favorite, is the Reverend Doctor Indigo Merrillanne Bishop. Yes, Indigo. Her two brothers are named Sage and Wolf. Their parents were going through a hippie phase at the time. She goes by Merrill now.

Other primary characters are the ones in the First Ladies Club, "a support group for pastors' wives" who "also do community service projects." The various first ladies are unique, realistic, likable, and well-rounded. They are friendly and welcoming to Merrill, and she is very thankful for their support.

Author J.B. Hawker has created a very believable world of Bannoch, Oregon. She describes it with just the right amount of detail, so that I can picture it — and want to visit there. The citizens of Bannoch are all three-dimensional and realistic, including the secondary characters.

I liked how everything — all of the sub-plots — comes together at the end. You won't want to miss the thrilling climax! I really love that part, with its edge-of-your-seat excitement.

A Body in the Belfry is a fast-paced and enjoyable read. After finishing the book in two days, I was a little sad to leave the First Ladies Club that I have grown to love. I'm looking forward to Author J.B. Hawker's current work in progress, A Corpse in the Chapel.

To sum it all up, I really enjoyed A Body in the Belfry by J.B. Hawker, and grant it Four Stars!

Note: I received a complimentary copy of A Body in the Belfry in exchange for my honest review. All opinions shared are 100% my own.

Originally published on my blog Jane Reads