The Case of the Dotty Dowager: A cosy mystery set in Wales

The Case of the Dotty Dowager: A cosy mystery set in Wales - Cathy Ace I just read an amazing book recently, y'all — The Case of the Dotty Dowager: A cosy mystery set in Wales by Cathy Ace. Let me tell you a little about it.

The Case of the Dotty Dowager is the first book in a new series, the WISE Enquiries Agency Mysteries. WISE is an acronym for the nationalities of the four Enquiry Agents — Welsh, Irish, Scots, and English. By the way, for those of y'all unfamiliar with the term, my Kindle's trusty Oxford Dictionary of English informs me that Enquiry Agent is a British term for private detective. [This Kindle dictionary has come in handy when I read books set in the UK and Australia, so I can translate English to US English!]

From the very first page of The Case of the Dotty Dowager, I was immediately caught up in the mystery and couldn't stop turning the pages. The story is told in third person from multiple points of view, which I enjoyed and found to be an interesting technique for keeping my attention.

I really like the four women of WISE. They are different ages (20s, 30s, 50s, 60s), nationalities and ethnicities, are from different backgrounds, and have different work experiences prior to forming WISE. They work very well together despite, or perhaps because of, these differences.

I also really like the allegedly-dotty dowager, Lady Althea. She is a Monty Python fan, with a great sense of humor. (Her son Henry, and her Lady's Maid Aide, not so much.)
'She hasn't always been a maid, have you, Jennifer?' said Althea quietly.
'You mean aide, Your Grace,' replied Jennifer.
'Do I?' responded the dowager.

Henry had never understood his mother's love for, and fascination with, the entire canon of those Monty Python chaps. He didn't think they were even slightly amusing. Whenever he dared to mention this fact, his mother would tell him he'd been given a sense of humor bypass immediately after she'd given birth to him....
I like Henry anyway, despite his lack of appreciation for all things Monty.

I think you'll like Henry also, and his mother Althea, and the WISE women — Carol, Christine, Mavis, and Annie — and all the other characters (except the despicable evil-doers, of course) created by Author Cathy Ace in her wonderful new cozy mystery The Case of the Dotty Dowager: A cosy mystery set in Wales. The second book in the series, The Case of the Missing Morris Dancer: A cosy mystery set in Wales, is available for pre-order from Amazon US and will be released on February 1, 2016.

Note: I received a complimentary copy of The Case of the Dotty Dowager in exchange for my honest review. All opinions shared are 100% my own.

Originally published on my blog Jane Reads here.